Tuesday, April 15, 2008

He's Heeeeere!

It's the moment every good little Catholic girl dreams about... the pope has come to town! While I did not get a ticket to the mass he's saying at the Nationals Stadium on Thursday (I put my name in my church's lotto but alas, the Lord had other plans for me.) I have mapped the route that the popemobile will be taking to get the pope around town.


My plan is to get up at around 5am tomorrow morning, armed with Dave's camera and Tracy's camping chair, go downtown to the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Rock Creek Park, and sit for 6 hours until the popemobile drives by. Having seen the pope when he came to St. Louis in 1999, my sister was able to offer me a bit of advice: stand on a corner so the popemobile has to turn in front of me, because despite its cumbersome size, that thing can pick up some serious speed on the straight-away. I'm not going to sit around for 6 hours to see a blur in white whiz by me at 45mph.
I'll have pictures to share (hopefully!) on Thursday. I'm fully expecting the whole thing to turn out like it did on The Golden Girls, when Sophia went to see the pope when he came to Miami, and when he was shaking her hand, his papal ring fell off into her hand. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's going to happen to me. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

LOU said...

Hope you got a prime pope viewing spot and some good pics! It was a lovely day for pope watching!

Andrea said...

Did you see him? I can't stand the suspense.......