Monday, April 28, 2008

Gone to the dogs.

This Saturday was the 10th annual Boardwaddle held in Ocean City, NJ. It features a basset hound "pawrade" to help raise money for homeless basset hounds. I went with Chris and Maggie, my 8-month old "niece". It was easily the cutest display of animals that I have ever seen in my whole life! The pictures are below, but let's back up to Friday. Friday featured the basset hound Olympics, which was hilarious. They had a "high jump" that started at 2 inches off the ground. Given the low clearance on (and stubborn nature of) a basset hound, there were some contestants who did not get past the 1st round. Some just walked right through the bar, knocking it over, and others could not jump over such a hurdle. The bar was raised up to 12 inches off the ground for the final round, but no bassets could clear it so it was moved down to 10 inches. The event was won by an 80-pound guy named Bo. He was being fed treats every time he cleared the pole, so I believe that is why he had the motivation to win!

And before I show you the photos of Saturday's pawrade, let me tell you about Friday night's dinner. Chris was nice enough to take me to dinner at Wolfgang Puck's American Grille in the Borgata. We were leaving the restaurant when who should we run into but old Wolfie himself!




What are the odds that the last two celebrity sightings I had were of men named Wolf? Crazy, right?? Well I was all ready to go over and give my compliments to the chef when I was told that we were leaving. Leaving. Leaving without taking one photo, getting one autograph, or even saying one 'Hello' to Mr. Puck. Apparently celebrity sightings are so commonplace to Chris that he is 100% totally unaffected. I was whisked out of the restaurant and told that I needed to act nonchalant and unimpressed. So for the rest of the evening I did what any normal person in my situation would have done: I pouted. Chris offered to go back to the restaurant so we could get a picture with Wolfgang, but I said no. I didn't want to seem chalant and impressed afterall. So dear readers, I was 2 feet from a world-renowned chef, but you will just have to take my word for it!

And now the pictures of the pawrade! The first photo of Maggie was taken on the way to the pawrade, and the last photo was taken on our way home. A two-mile walk with 400 basset hounds really tired her out! Here's hoping many homeless bassets will be provided for because of the pawrade!







No comments: