Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I love ya, ma.

It is a sad, sad day. Estelle Getty, better known as Sophia Petrillo, has died. I felt like I knew her better than I did my own grandmother. She was a real firecracker and the world isn't as funny without her in it. Everyone who knows me knows that I love the Golden Girls, so as my tribute to Sophia Petrillo, I would like to share some of her funniest lines.

Sophia: I found my lucky handkerchief
Rose: Where was it?
Sophia: It was in my bra
Rose: What was it doing in your bra?
Sophia: I was blowing my breasts, Rose!

Dorothy: Ma, I DON’T snore.
Sophia: Please! I had to turn you away from the window so you wouldn’t inhale the drapes!

Rose: Sophia, why are you in such a bad mood?
Sophia: Excuse me Rose, but I haven't had sex in fifteen years and it's starting to get on my nerves.

Dorothy: Well Blanche is certainly taking her sister's novel better than I would. I would kill my sister Gloria if she ever wrote about my sex life.
Sophia: You would kill your sister over a pamphlet?

Rose: You must be tired after your cab trip.
Sophia: Why? I RODE in the cab! I didn't push it!

Sophia: Make way for the victors.
Rose: You won the big game?
Sophia: No, Rose. We lost and we all changed our names to Victor.

Rose: Heaven is full of cows, chickens, horses and pigs...
Sophia: I hope Heaven has boots!

Blanche: Well, what do you know? Sophia has a past!
Sophia: That's right! But unlike yours, I didn't need penicillin to get through it.

Sophia: [playing Scrabble with Dorothy] I win!
Dorothy: Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. There is no such word as that!
Sophia: There certainly is.
Dorothy: Fine. I'll look it up, and if it isn't in the dictionary, I win.
Sophia: We don't have a dictionary.
Dorothy: Yes we do.
Sophia: Not anymore, the robbers took it.
Dorothy: They stole our dictionary?
Sophia: That's right. Too bad.
Dorothy: Ma, "disdam" is not a word! You made it up.
Sophia: It's a word!
Dorothy: Fine. Use it in a sentence.
Sophia: You're no good at disdam game!

Dorothy: We're interested in arranging a funeral.
Mr. Pfeiffer: Isn't that lovely. The three of you planning ahead for Mother.
Sophia: Hey, Puh-feiffer, how would you like a punch in your puh-face?

Blanche: I am abhorred!
Sophia: We know what you are Blanche. I'm glad to finally hear you admit it.
Blanche: Sophia, I said "abhorred".
Sophia: A whore, a slut, a tramp, it's all the same.

Blanche: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go take a long, hot, steamy bath with just enough water to barely cover my perky bosoms.
Sophia: You're only gonna sit in an inch of water?!

Sophia: Look Rose, God doesn't make mistakes, we were all put on this planet for a purpose. Blanche, you're here to work in a museum so that art can be appreciated by humanity. Dorothy, you're here as a substitute teacher to educate our youth. And Rose, you're here because the rhythm method was very popular in the 20's.

Dorothy: Ma, why do you constantly look for ways to amuse yourself at my expense?
Sophia: Because we don't have cable and I can't crochet. This is who I am Dorothy. Learn to live with it, or medicate me!

Blanche: Dorothy's looking through her high school yearbook to see who's all dead.
Sophia: That's my pussycat, fun, fun, fun!

Blanche: Sophia, I've decided to wear this little watch on a chain nestled cunningly in my cleavage. Do I need anything else?
Sophia: Implants.

And finally, to the tune of "Thanks for the Memories"...

Thanks for the Medicare / For Blue Cross and Blue Shield / For a hip that finally healed / Remember, on prescriptions, generic is a steal / We thank you so much!

With love,
Pussycat

3 comments:

tom cheffo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tom cheffo said...

hey there ...love your blog...awesome just liked it's creator.....


t "show dad" cheffo

Miss Penny Lane said...

show dad wrote on your blog???? no way! erg....maybe i wouldn't want show dad to see my blog! :) anyway, i HEART estelle getty/sophia. it was my assignment in 9th grade to follow a brand new TV show through its first season and do a report. i chose GOLDEN GIRLS, so i've always had an attachment. thanks for the GREAT post!