Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hey! Isn't that ... ??

I’ve realized that I think I see famous people way more than the average person. At least once a day I think I see a celebrity. It doesn’t help that my office contains two huge windows that overlook M Street, and if a celebrity is in town there’s a good chance that they will at some point walk past my window. It’s happened before with a tiny little chain-smoking celebrity named Eva Longoria-Parker (though she was just Eva Longoria back then) and more recently with Mia Farrow.

But more often, I’ll hear the next day that someone wildly famous was in town and they were spotted walking along M Street in Georgetown … they were right under my nose and I missed them! That’s happened before with George Clooney, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. So because there’s a real likelihood that I could see a celebrity, I’m constantly getting faked out by people who just look like celebrities.
Case in point: Monday night at the grocery store I actually went a couple aisles out of my way to follow a man I was CERTAIN was Homeland Security Director, Michael Chertoff. (it’s DC … to me, politicians fall under the category of “celebrity”, especially when they get cool guys in black suits and earpieces following them around.) But I was wrong because I saw faux-Michael Chertoff in the parking lot putting his groceries in a beat-up old 4Runner.


That same grocery store visit I thought I saw Johnny Cochran in the produce section. Yes, I know he’s dead. But the man still has to eat! Ok, no he doesn’t … but the guy I saw looked JUST like him.


Recently I thought I saw Nancy Reagan coming out of Kiehl’s across the street. But I understand that trips to Kiehl’s might be difficult when you’re hospitalized with a hip fracture.


And then there was the time that I was SURE I saw Janet Reno in the elevator, but Dave later forwarded me a news article detailing how Janet Reno was in a car accident in Florida at the time I thought I was in the elevator with her.


So the moral of my post today is: If I tell you that I saw a celebrity/politician, I’m probably mistaken. But then again, Eva Longoria, maybe I’m not.

2 comments:

Miss Penny Lane said...

You're not the only one--Kurt stalked Joe Lieberman at Social Safeway a few weeks ago and took a photo as Joe was selecting a 6-pack of beer. I wonder what kind of beer the shoulda-been-VP drinks?!

Andrea said...

Kudos for being knowledgable enough to even recognize politicians. I don't even think I would recognize my own senator.