Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year...


Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent, which is the 40 days (excluding Sundays) before Easter. I've been thinking about things I can give up for Lent and have settled on the old standby: regular soda. I love soda. I love the fizziness, the caffeine, the sweetness, the syrupy aftertaste, the grittiness on my teeth. Mmmm... regular soda. But I know it is terrible for me. T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. But golly it's good. I also gave up swearing. Not curse words, but swearing. Hence the "golly" in that previous sentence.

I have given up soda before and even though I usually only have one soda a day, since I love it so much and look forward to it, it is really tough for me to give up. But I'd like to give it up for good this time. During Lents past, I have had a huge soda the minute the clock strikes midnight on Easter. So that's what makes this year different. I'm also giving up Gatorade, which I keep next to my bed at night in case I wake up thirsty. LOVE Gatorade, but I know it's bad for me so out it goes.

Wish me luck. Gosh this is going to be a looooong Lent!

No comments: